( SERVES 4 )
- In a bowl lightly oil and heavily season beetroot.
- Wrap individually in tin foil and bake for an hour or until a skewer slides through the largest beetroot easily.
- At the same time, roast the onion, carrot and garlic along with oil for half an hour, stirring once or twice during cooking time.
- When they are cool enough to handle, put some gloves on (beetroot stains) then peel and roughly chop the beetroot.
- Put all the vegetables in a large pot with the stock.
- Puree with a stick blender, or puree in smaller batches in a normal blender.
- It will take a while to become smooth, but it's worth it.
- If it is becoming too thick add more water or stock to achieve desired consistency.
- Return to the stovetop and bring it up to a simmer and season with salt, pepper and a little brown sugar.
- Serve topped with crumbled feta.
Tip: Only add sugar if your beetroot isn't sweet enough, good beetroot shouldn't need any sugar.