Vietnamese chicken sandwich
( SERVES 4 )
- For the chicken: In a food processor, blend garlic, ginger, lemongrass and red chilli, add a neutral oil to form a paste.
- Toss chicken thighs to coat and marinate for at least an hour or overnight.
- Season then sear the chicken on a medium heat until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a 180 degC oven for 15 minutes to complete the cooking. Cool and slice.
- For the pickle: Heat the rice vinegar with 500ml of water, palm sugar and 2 tsp of salt until the sugar dissolves. Allow to cool.
- Use a mandolin or sharp knife to peel and julienne the carrot and daikon.
- Salt it and leave to drain for an hour one hour. Rinse excess salt from vegetables.
- Add vinegar mixture to the vegetables and store in a container until ready to use.
- For the slaw: Shred cabbage and slice cucumber thinly.
- Add herbs, lime, sesame oil and fish sauce.
- Add some of the pickled vegetables and a little bit of their liquid and toss everything together.
- To serve: Lightly toast bread.
- Spread both sides with mayonnaise and pate.
- Add a layer of sliced chicken and top with the slaw, serve immediately.