Red Velvet Cake
( SERVES 12 )
Although it is quite simple, this cake is our best- seller. I'm convinced it is because of its colour and the fact that we sprinkle it with hundreds and thousands.
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|2 cups||Plain flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|2 tsp||Cocoa powder, unsweetened|
|1 cup||Vegetable oil|
|6 tsp||Red food colouring, up to 12 tsp|
|½ cup||Coffee, prepared plain, hot|
|1 tsp||White vinegar|
- Preheat oven to 180 degC.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and vegetable oil.
- Mix in the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and red food colouring until combined. Stir in the coffee and white vinegar.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients a little at time, mixing after each addition, just until combined.
- Generously grease and line a 9-inch cake pan. Pour the batter evenly into the pan.
- Bake in the middle rack for one hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Do not over-bake as cake will continue to cook as it cools. Remove the cake from the pan and let it cool.
- For the icing, place cream cheese, butter and vanilla in an electric mixer and beat until pale.
- Gradually add icing sugar, beating until combined.
- Ice cake with cream cheese frosting and sprinkle with hundreds and thousands.