Green chile chicken tacos and pineapple salsa
Photo by Tamara West
The Tijuana Green Chile sauce from the Culley’s range impressed all the judges. It is made with New Zealand grown green habanero chillies and capsicums. It has a medium-hot chilli strength and a natural home-made taste. In these tacos I’ve used the green chile sauce twice — to marinate and add flavour to the chicken and then drizzled over the taco for a fiery finish.
|4 Tbsp||Green Chile Tijuana sauce, I use the Culleys brand, plus some extra sauce for serving|
|2 Tbsp||Greek yoghurt, natural, plus extra for serving|
|2||Chicken breasts, skinless|
|1||Lime, cut into wedges|
- Mix green chile sauce with yoghurt and salt. Massage into chicken breasts and leave to marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Cook chicken breasts in a baking dish at 180C for 15-20 minutes (depending on size) until done. Allow to cool, then pull meat apart.
- For the salsa, slice mint and coriander, mix with pineapple, red onion, lime juice, oil and sea salt.
- Heat barbecue or frying pan to medium-high heat, cook tortillas for 30 seconds on each side until bubbles appear on the surface and they begin to brown. Wrap in a cloth napkin to steam, soften and keep warm.
- Dress each tortilla with chicken, diced fresh tomatoes, pineapple salsa, extra yoghurt and green chilli sauce to taste. Serve with lime wedges.
- For the barbecued pineapple: barbecue or grill fresh, peeled, thick cut slices to get an extra great flavour and texture boost and cook until golden. Allow them to cool, then dice.