Wedding food: Honey and balsamic roasted salmon with pate, chunky hummus and smoked bacon jam
( SERVES 4 )
This inviting appetiser combines stunning flavours with healthy ingredients.
|1 Tbsp||Balsamic vinegar|
|½||Salmon, 1 side, boned with skin on|
|250 g||Streaky bacon, smoked|
|4 Tbsp||Walnut pieces|
|2||Red onions, finely sliced|
|¼ cup||Balsamic vinegar|
|4 Tbsp||Brown sugar|
|1 tin||Chickpeas, 400g, cooked in spring water|
|200 g||Light cream cheese|
|1 Tbsp||Sour cream|
|2 tsp||Dijon mustard|
|1||Lemon, freshly juiced|
|6 to serve||Lebanese bread, flatbreads|
- Preheat the grill in your oven.
- Heat the honey slightly in the microwave and mix it with the balsamic vinegar.
- Brush this glaze onto the flesh of the salmon so it is evenly coated.
- Put the salmon in one baking tray and the bacon in another. Put both under a hot grill (not too close!) and cook for about 15 minutes, turning the bacon halfway through.
- Remove from the grill and leave to rest. While they are cooking, put the walnuts in a hot frying pan and dry fry for about 5 minutes. Make sure they are moving constantly to avoid them tasting burned or bitter.
- Now cut 2 lemons in half and put them flesh-side down into the still-hot frying pan. Cook them until the surface of the lemon caramelises and changes to a dark brown, almost black colour. Set aside.
- For the smoked bacon jam, saute the onions in a little olive oil, then add the sugar and balsamic to the saucepan.
- Reduce the heat and allow to simmer until thickened. Roughly chop the streaky bacon and fold it through the jam.
- For the chunky hummus, drain and reserve the liquid from the tin of chickpeas.
- In a bowl, start smashing up the chickpeas using a potato masher or similar. Add the tahini and walnuts as you continue to smash the chickpeas.
- Add the reserved liquid as you do this until the hummus reaches a chunky, yet spreadable consistency.
- For the salmon pate, take half the cooked salmon and put into a food processor with the cream cheese, sour cream, dijon mustard and lemon juice.
- Blitz until smooth. Season to taste. Cut the flatbreads into wedges and lightly grill with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.
- To serve, arrange all the components, including the roasted lemons, on a large board or platter.