Wedding cake: Chocolate mud cake with milk frosting and ganache
( SERVES 10 )
Three bowls are all it takes to whip up this rich fudgy cake –then simply layer with frosting and decorate with store-bought sugar flowers.
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Grease and line the base of a 21cm spring-form cake tin.
- Place the chocolate in a glass or stainless-steel bowl and pour over the hot coffee and oil.
- Leave to rest for 5 minutes, then stir until smooth and melted.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and cocoa.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, cream and sour cream until smooth.
- Mix all three mixtures together until well combined.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 50-60 minutes. Test with a skewer.
- Cool completely, then slice horizontally into three layers.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting and ganache.
- For milk frosting: heat the ½ cup cream and add milk chocolate, stirring until melted.
- Let cool until spreadable, then sandwich between the cake layers.
- For dark chocolate ganache, heat the cup of cream and pour over the dark chocolate melts.
- Leave for 5 minutes, then stir until melted and smooth. Leave to cool and thicken.
- Ice the cake with a very thin layer of ganache.
- Decorate with remaining ganache to create patterns. Finish with a few white icing daisys.