Chicken Tagine with Apricots
|1 Tbsp||Canola oil, or 2 tbsp, or grapeseed oil|
|750 g||Chicken thighs, skinned and boned, cubed|
|1||Carrot, large, sliced|
|1||Large onion, sliced|
|1 tsp||Ground ginger|
|½ tsp||Ground cumin|
|½ tsp||White pepper|
|¾ cup||Chicken stock|
|¾ cup||Orange juice|
|400 g||Apricots, canned, drained|
|2 Tbsp||Preserved lemons, flesh, optional|
- Set oven to 160 degC.
- Heat half the oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Brown chicken in batches, removing to a casserole or tagine once browned.
- Add remaining oil, onion and carrot to the frying pan.
- Stir in spices and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add flour, mixing well.
- Pour in stock and bring to the boil. Stir well.
- Add orange juice and preserved lemon (if using), and apricots.
- Pour over chicken in the casserole.
- Cover and cook for 1-1 & 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Great served with well-buttered couscous.