Southern 'Fried' Chicken Wings
( SERVES 6 )
The wings are usually deep-fried in vegetable oil, but in the interest of good health I sprayed these with olive oil and baked them in the oven.
- Spray olive oil
- Set oven to 200 degC.
- Place chicken wings in a large bowl, add buttermilk and mix to coat well.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In another bowl combine flour and seasonings.
- Drain wings in a colander over a bowl. Reserve the buttermilk.
- Dredge wings in the flour, dip in reserved buttermilk then again in flour, shaking off any excess.
- Set on a tray. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Spray wings with oil. Bake for about 35 minutes or until cooked and crispy.
Tip: If buttermilk is not available substitute 1 & 1/4 cups each of plain unsweetened yoghurt and milk.