Wedding cake: Red velvet layer cake
( SERVES 8 )
This simple, light chocolate cake, tinted with red colouring, is transformed into something spectacular when layered and smothered in creamy frosting. You could make this in any shape you like, or even as little cupcakes.
|1¼ cups||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|1½ tsp||Baking powder|
|1¾ cups||Plain flour|
|¼ cup||Cocoa powder|
|2 Tbsp||Red food colouring|
- Preheat the oven to 165C.
- Line the base and sides of a 23cm x 34cm shallow roasting dish or similar.
- Cream butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes until pale and creamy.
- Add vanilla and eggs one at a time, beating until well combined.
- Sift over flour, baking powder and cocoa, and fold all together with milk, yoghurt and red food colouring.
- Spoon into the prepared dish and bake for 25-30 minutes until spongy and just pulling away from the sides.
- Cool completely, then cut into 3 even strips approximately 10 cm wide.
- Sandwich cake layers with ¼ of the icing, then ice complete cake with a very thin layer of icing – this will seal in all the crumbs.
- Chill for 20 minutes, then ice with remaining frosting.
- Decorate with little party signs or candles.
- Use Betty Crocker vanilla frosting or buttercream (recipe below)
- Buttercream: Using electric beater, cream butter until fluffy.
- Add icing sugar and lemon juice and enough hot water to make a fluffy frosting.