Photo by Dough Sherring
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add eggplant, onion and garlic cloves. saute until eggplant is soft and brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes with juice, then red wine vinegar and drained capers.
- Cover and simmer for about 12 minutes until eggplant and onion are very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Season caponata to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in fresh basil.
- Transfer caponata to serving bowl. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts.
- Can be served warm, at room temperature, or cold.
- Caponata can also be made two days ahead.
- Cover and chill, then serve on baguette slices or crackers.