Tiramisu meringue stack with chocolate and salted almonds
Make the meringue layers up to three days in advance and store in an airtight container, then simply layer and garnish at the last moment and wait for the oohs and ahhs!
|1½ cups||Caster sugar|
|¼ cup||Almonds, finely chopped|
|200 g||Mascarpone, cheese|
|¼ cup||Icing sugar|
|1||Coffee, shot (approximately 2 Tbsp)|
|1 Tbsp||Sherry, or your favourite liqueur|
|½ cup||Chocolate sauce, or 1/4 cup cream melted with 3/4 cup dark chocolate melts|
|½ cup||Almonds, whole|
|½ tsp||Flaky sea salt|
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- Line 2 trays with baking paper and draw 2 x 18cm circles on each.
- Using an electric beater, whisk egg whites until white and foamy, and gradually sprinkle in sugar while beating until thick, white and glossy.
- Fold in chopped almonds, divide mixture between the circles and spread out to make 4 even-sized circles.
- Bake for 1 hour, then turn oven off and leave for a further hour.
- In a large bowl, whisk mascarpone with icing sugar until smooth and creamy, then gradually whisk in cream, coffee and liqueur until fluffy and combined.
- Spread mascarpone cream over three layers and stack neatly on a serving plate, leaving the plain one on top.
- Just before serving, drizzle over chocolate sauce and sprinkle over almonds.
- For salted almonds, heat oil in a small frying pan and saute almonds with salt until toasted. Cool and chop roughly.