Classic fish and chips
( SERVES 4 )
Hoki is in season now, and makes for a very affordable family dinner – it cooks up beautifully white and has a mild flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 175C, fan bake.
- Cut the potatoes into even-sized wedges and toss with the oil and salt.
- Arrange in a single layer on a lined baking tray and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and tender.
- Cut the hoki into even-sized portions (if they are long and thin, just double them up or fold into neat little parcels – they will cook more evenly).
- Combine breadcrumbs, seasoning and garlic.
- Spray fish with a little oil and generously pat on the crumbs, then spray with more oil and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until crumbs are golden and fish is cooked in the centre.
- Serve with tartare or aioli and sprinkle with chopped parsley and lemon wedges for squeezing.
Tip: If you have a large oven tray, you can cook the potatoes for the first 30 minutes, then scoot them along and pop the fish on the same tray for the last 10-15 minutes of cooking – less dishes! But cook them separately if you wish.