Pineapple upside-down cake
( SERVES 8 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
Delicious pineapple lines the bottom of this cake, along with a sweet caramel sauce. Turn the cake upside down to reveal the goodies.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To make the topping: melt the butter.
- Sprinkle the sugar on the base of a greased 23cm cake tin.
- Pour over the melted butter. Arrange the pineapple slices on the base.
- To make the cake: beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each. Add the vanilla and beat through.
- Into the bowl sift the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Add the zest and ginger. Stir gently until well combined. Pour over the pineapple.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Tip: Let the cake sit for a few minutes then tip on a plate to prevent the caramel from sticking and allowing excess to drip down the sides.