( SERVES 8 )
Think of coffee as more than a shot of caffeine and use it as a full-flavoured ingredient.
- Beat 1/3 cup caster sugar with the egg yolks until pale and thick. Fold in mascarpone.
- Beat the egg whites with 1 Tbsp caster sugar to form soft peaks. Gently fold the whites into the mascarpone mix.
- To strong coffee add marsala or rum. Open a pack of lady fingers (savoiardi) and individually dip the non-sugar side into the coffee mix.
- Add a layer of fingers coffee-side down to a large loaf pan lined with plastic wrap. Add a layer of the mascarpone mix, then dust with cocoa powder. Repeat layers until pan is full. Dust with cocoa, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Tip out and slice to serve.