Photo by Photography by Tamara West
This classic shortbread recipe is a must for every cook's book and a great one to get the kids started on
- Place the butter in a bowl to come to room temperature.
- Heat the oven to 150C and line a baking sheet with baking paper
- Sift the flour and cornflour into one bowl.
- Sift the icing sugar into the butter and cream (beat with a fork or wooden spoon until pale and creamy).
- Add the flour and cornflour. Mix well with a wooden spoon or knead with your hands.
- Option 1: With a spoon, scoop out a walnut sized piece of shortbread, roll into a ball and press onto the baking sheet. With a fork press the middle of the dough to flatten out. Option 2: Roll shortbread onto a flat surface. Using a cookie cutter cut out the shapes and place on the baking sheet. You can use novelty cookie cutters like stars and animals.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly golden.