Chicken with carrots and lemon
Photo by Tamara West
Hey kids. It's your turn to cook so we're making it nice and simple
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|8||Chicken drumsticks, patted dry with kitchen paper towels|
|8||Garlic cloves, whole, unpeeled|
|12||Baby carrots, scrubbed, green tops removed|
|10 cm||Rosemary, sprig|
|1 to taste||Black pepper, freshly ground|
|1||Meyer lemon, cut in quarters|
|1 cup||Chicken stock, good quality|
|4 servings||Peas, cooked, or a green salad for serving|
- Heat oven to 200C.
- Place chicken drumsticks in a large rectangular baking dish, such as a lasagne dish or a roasting pan. Pour olive oil over chicken.
- Carefully cut the very bottom off each garlic clove. Add garlic and carrots to baking dish.
- Strip leaves from rosemary and add leaves to dish. Sprinkle salt and pepper over everything in the dish, then use your clean hands to mix everything together, and to rub the oil all over the chicken. Spread everything out evenly in the dish. Squeeze over the lemon juice and add the squeezed wedges to the dish too.
- Pour the chicken stock and water into the dish.
- Carefully put the dish in the hot oven. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Check chicken is cooked by making a small cut in to the bone and seeing that the juices are clear, not pink. If not ready, cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve on warm plates and spoon over the sauce from the dish. Serve with peas or a green salad.