Michael Meredith’s gazpacho samoa with coconut yoghurt
Chef Michael Meredith shares his version of gazpacho using sweetcorn and watermelon.
|1||Sweetcorn, cob, frest|
|2||Lebanese cucumber, peeled and seeded|
|½||Red onion, small|
|2||Large ripe tomatoes, cored|
|2 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1 to taste||Sea salt|
|1||Green coconut, flesh, chopped|
|1||Lime, small, juice only|
|1 to garnish||Coconut, freshly grated|
|1 to garnish||Fresh coriander|
- To make the gazpacho, cook the sweetcorn in plenty of salted water, then remove the kernels.
- Cut the cucumbers, onion, capsicum, tomatoes and pineapple into uniform dice (about 1cm).
- Mix in a bowl, then add a little sea salt and a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Remove the watermelon flesh from the rind and cut half of it into 1cm dice (removing the seeds).
- Add the corn, coconut flesh and diced watermelon to the mixture. Chill well.
- Process the remaining watermelon in a blender, then strain to make 500ml of juice.
- Add the juice of a lime, a little sea salt and the other tablespoon of olive oil. Chill well.
- To make the yoghurt, open the coconut and pour the juice into a cup.
- Remove the soft flesh, then place in a blender with the cashews.
- Blend at high speed, adding enough coconut water to make a yoghurt-like consistency.
- Season with lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt.
- To serve, chill 4 soup bowls.
- Divide the diced vegetables between the bowls, then add the chilled watermelon juice.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, grated coconut and dollops of coconut yoghurt.