Caramel & roast coconut congee
Three Shortland St stars and uniting to fight poverty by going below the line. The actresses get a taste of life on just $2.25 a day.
- Put rice into a saucepan with 750ml cold water.
- Add ½ disc of palm sugar. Bring to the boil, then slowly simmer for 1 hour.
- Add more water if necessary. Crush remaining palm sugar and put into a separate saucepan.
- Put over heat and melt. As sugar turns darker brown, add 4 tbsp cold water, taking care as sugar may react violently! Reduce to syrup and cool.
- Grate half the fresh coconut. Thinly slice remainder with a vegetable peeler.
- Place both on a tray in an oven preheated to 180 degC.
- Cook 10 minutes. Stir coconut and cook for a further 10 minutes or until light brown in colour.
- Once the rice is cooked to a porridge consistency, add the roasted, grated coconut and stir.
- Spoon coconut rice into bowls, pile roasted, sliced coconut on top and drizzle palm sugar caramel over the top. Delicious!