Couscous and roasted vegetable salad
This warm, colourful salad pretty much cooks itself. Add different vegetables to suit your tastes – and season.
|1||Golden kumara, diced into bite-sized pieces|
|1||Red onion, diced|
|1||Red pepper, deseeded and cut into bit-sized pieces|
|¼ cup||Olive oil, plus an extra 2-3 tbsp|
|1 tsp||Sea salt|
|2 Tbsp||Pine nuts|
|1 to serve||Feta, optional|
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped vegetables with the ¼ cup oil, garlic and sea salt.
- Cut the eggplants in half and scoop out some of the flesh. Dice the flesh and add to the chopped vegetables.
- Line a large tray with baking paper and arrange the oiled vegetables in a single layer.
- Place the scooped-out eggplants on another tray and brush with remaining oil. Bake both for 25-30 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, place couscous in a bowl and pour over 1 cup of boiling water.
- Cover with a plate or tin foil to seal in heat and leave for 10 minutes. Then fluff up with a fork.
- When ready to serve, toss the roasted chopped vegetables with the couscous, toasted pine nuts and dress with the orange juice and zest, mustard and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Pile into the eggplant halves and crumble over feta. Serve with a few green leaves for colour.
Tip: Add some crumbled feta for a creamy touch, and pine nuts for crunch. You can also add seared chicken strips or bacon for the meat lovers in the family.