Vanilla bean cupcakes with fairy floss
( MAKES 12 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
Who says cupcakes are just for kids? These grown-up vanilla bean-flavoured treats will delight the whole family.
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract|
|½ cup||Raw sugar|
|½ cup||Ground almonds|
|½ cup||Self raising flour|
|1 to decorate||Fairy Floss, Persian, available from gourmet food stores|
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line muffin tins with paper cases.
- Cream butter, vanilla and sugar until pale, then add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the almonds and then the flour. Gently stir in the milk until all ingredients are combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake for 15 minutes.
- Put the icing sugar in a bowl and add the softened butter.
- Split the vanilla pod and scrape the seeds into the bowl (add the dried pod to your sugar container).
- Add the boiling water and mix to a smooth consistency, adding a little more water if necessary.
- Ice the cooled cupcakes and top with a little fairy floss.