( SERVES 8 )
I served these as tapas at a recent party. They also make a great main served with rice.
|2||Onions, finely chopped|
|¼ cup||Olive oil|
|3 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|1½ Tbsp||Curry powder, medium|
|2 tsp||Garam masala|
|1 tsp||Chilli powder|
|450 g||Diced tomatoes, can|
|1 Tbsp||Tomato paste|
|2 cups||Lamb stock, or beef stock|
|200 ml||Coconut cream|
|1 tsp||Ground cinnamon|
- Heat oil in a frying pan and saute onions on medium-low heat until very soft but not browned.
- Add garlic, curry powder, garam masala and chilli powder. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Divide mixture in half and put one half in a bowl to combine with mince.
- Add tomato paste and canned tomatoes to remaining onion mixture in frying pan.
- Simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in stock, coconut cream and cinnamon. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- To make koftas, combine reserved onion mixture (process if too chunky) with lamb, herbs, egg and seasoning.
- Mix well. Roll into golf ball-sized balls. Return sauce to a simmer and add lamb balls.
- Poach for about 30 minutes, until cooked.