Pureed parsnips have a velvety smooth texture and lend themselves well to bold garlicky and lemon flavours.
- Cut the parsnips into 2cm even-sized pieces and put them in a saucepan.
- Add 1 garlic clove and cover with milk.
- Cook until the parsnips are tender, (about 15–20 minutes), drain, reserving 3 tablespoons of the cooking liquor and put in a blender.
- Add the remaining garlic, half the lemon juice, reserved cooking liquor and blitz until almost smooth.
- Add the almonds (if using) and, with the motor running slowly, drizzle in the oil until incorporated.
- Season with sea salt and adjust the lemon juice to taste.
- Allow to cool and serve at room temperature.