- Soak the bread in cold water until saturated then squeeze out excess water.
- Crush the garlic with the sea salt in a pestle and mortar until pureed.
- Put the garlic, bread and vinegar in a food processor.
- Blend until smooth, then slowly add the oil with the motor still running.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper, cover and refrigerate until required.
- The garlic will intensify in flavour the longer you leave it. Use within a day or two.
Variation: Bread Skordalia with Nuts - Replace 50g of the bread in the bread skordalia recipe with some crushed walnuts or pine nuts, and follow the recipe as instructed, adding a drop more vinegar to taste to cut the richness of the nuts. Some people prefer to use a white wine vinegar or lemon juice; it’s entirely down to personal taste.