Grilled prawns with feta and tomato sauce
Photo by Tamara West
Warren Elwin’s small plates are best shared around the table — Greek style
|3 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|½ cup||White wine|
|¼ cup||Tomato puree|
|400 g||Crushed tomatoes, (canned)|
|1 tsp||Smoked paprika|
|¼ tsp||Chilli powder|
|1||Lemon, zest & juice|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1||Prawns, (as many as you require)|
- Gently fry red onion and bacon (both very finely chopped) and cloves crushed garlic in oil until soft — do not let it colour.
- Add white wine and boil until reduced by half. Add tomato puree, crushed tomatoes, oregano, smoked paprika, chili powder, sugar and the zest and juice of a lemon.
- Simmer the sauce until thick. Season to taste.
- Remove the tail shells from some whole prawns and open out tails with a sharp knife.
- Spread with soft goat’s feta and season with pepper and grated lemon zest.
- Arrange prawns on top of a baking dish filled with the warm tomato sauce and grill until prawns are cooked.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and fresh oregano.