Camilla's carrot cake
One of East Tamaki School's highlights last year was a visit from Prince Charles and The Duchess of Cornwall. Camilla was served a piece of this carrot cake made in the school's kitchen as part of their Garden to Table curriculum. Recipe sourced and adapted from Gretta Anna Recipes by Gretta Anna Teplitzky, Australia.
|1 cup||Carrot, grated|
|227 g||Canned crushed pineapple|
|1 cup||Plain flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|¾ tsp||Baking soda|
|¼ cup||Walnuts, chopped|
Cream cheese icing
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- Drain the juice from the can of crushed pineapple.
- In a large bowl sieve the plain flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together. Mix in the sugar. Add the eggs and oil. Mix very well. Stir in the grated carrots, crushed pineapple and walnuts.
- Pour the mixture into a greased cake tin. Bake in a moderate oven 175 degC for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the cake tin and cool on a cake rack.
- Cream cheese icing: Place all the ingredients into a medium-size bowl and beat very well with a spatula. If too thick, add a small amount of milk to give a smooth consistency.
- Smooth a layer of topping over the cooled cake and decorate (the school used lovely blue borage flowers).