Crunchy lemon muffins
Photo by Babiche Martens
Adapted from Alison Holst's recipe. Take care to not over-stir the mixture. Makes 12 regular-size muffins.
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
|2 tsp||Poppy seeds, level (optional)|
|1||Lemon, grated rind of 1 large or 2 small|
- Heat oven to 200 degC (190degC fan bake).
- Line the muffin tin with muffin cases.
- Sieve flour, baking powder and mix with sugar in a bowl.
- Melt butter in a large bowl, add milk, egg and lemon rind. Combine the mixture well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the liquid and fold gently to combine with a spoon or spatula.
- Stop as soon as the dry ingredients have been lightly dampened but not thoroughly mixed.
- Divide mixture evenly between the muffin tins.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- While muffins bake, stir together the lemon juice and sugar without dissolving the sugar.
- Brush over the hot muffins as soon as they are removed from the baking pans.