Banana Fritters with Spiced Honey Drizzle by Sarah Bowman
( SERVES 6 )
My mother introduced our children to the joys of banana fritters. I have taken them to a new level of deliciousness with the addition of a spiced honey drizzle. They make a lovely inexpensive weekend breakfast treat.
|1 cup||Plain flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|2||Bananas, ripe, roughly mashed|
|1||Butter, for cooking|
|6||Bananas, small sized, diced, to serve|
|1||Lemon, for juice, to serve|
Spiced Honey Drizzle
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks, milk, flour, baking powder and vanilla. Fold in the mashed bananas.
- Beat egg whites and salt together in another bowl until stiff and fold into the batter.Heat one tablespoon butter in a heavy-based frying pan and spoon quarter-cup amounts of batter into the pan to create small fritters. Cook until golden on both sides.
- Keep fritters warm in an oven on low as you continue to batch-cook the remaining mixture, adding more butter to the pan for each batch.
- Toss diced banana in lemon juice to prevent it from browning.
- Serve each person a stack of three fritters with a tablespoon of diced banana between each layer. Top with diced banana and serve with a jug of spiced honey drizzle.
Spiced Honey Drizzle:
- Combine all ingredients in a small pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard vanilla pod.
- Pour sauce into a jug.