Lemon, golden syrup and coconut cake with raspberry cream cheese icing
( MAKES 21-23cm cake )
Photo by Tamara West
|1 Tbsp||Baking powder|
|2 cups||Plain flour|
|2 cups||Ground almonds|
|1 cup||Threaded coconut, you can also use desiccated or shredded|
|⅔ cup||Lemon juice, freshly squeezed|
|1 cup||Golden syrup|
|1½ cups||Oil, neutral, such as grapeseed or canola|
|2 tsp||Vanilla extract|
- Heat oven to 180C (or 170C fanbake). Grease and line a 21-23cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Place all cake ingredients into a large food processor and blitz until well combined. If you don’t have a food processor, sieve flour and baking powder together and combine with ground almonds, coconut and salt. Beat remaining cake ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined. Add flour mixture to wet mixture and mix together until well combined.
- Pour cake batter into prepared cake tin and bake until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean and cake springs back when lightly touched, about 1 hour. Leave in tin to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Ice cake when it has cooled completely and sprinkle over coconut thread.
- To make the icing, beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth (you can do this with an electric beater or by hand with a wooden spoon). Beat in raspberries until smooth, then gradually beat in icing sugar. Add more icing sugar if you want a thicker icing.