Roasted onions with gorgonzola
Photo by Tamara West
Sweet melt-in-your-mouth onions with crispy piquant cheesy crumbs make a delicious and unusual start to the week
- Don’t peel the onions but use a sharp knife to shave back the threadlike roots on the base to make a flat surface. Slice off the other end of the onions to reveal a 4-5cm diameter circle of flesh.
- Place onions in a small roasting pan lined with aluminium foil. Add rosemary, and most of the crushed garlic, along with a glug of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and rub oil and flavourings all over the onions. Turn onions so that cut side faces down.
- Roast at 190C for 40minutes, or until the onions are becoming tender and the cut surface that is facing down has caramelised to a nice brown colour. Remove pan from oven and turn onions over so that the browned side faces up.
- Carefully pile the gorgonzola on top of the onions. Mix the sourdough crumbs with the remaining garlic and just enough oil to moisten them. Scatter these on top of the gorgonzola.
- Return the pan to the oven and roast a further 20 minutes. Serve with wilted spinach, or another dark leafy green of your choice.