Happy birthday banana cake with chocolate icing
Photo by Tamara West
The success of this cake is in the bananas — they must be ripe, over-ripe even, to ensure the cake is moist — and in the rich, buttery chocolate icing, lots of it.
|125 g||Butter, softened|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|3||Bananas, very ripe, mashed|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
- Heat oven to 180C and grease and line a 20cm cake tin.
- Cream butter and sugar until really light and fluffy, then beat in eggs, one at a time. Warm the milk then stir the soda into it. Add to the creamed mixture along with the mashed banana.
- Sift in flour and baking powder and fold through gently.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pushed. Rest in tin for 5 minutes before turning on to a rack to cool before icing.
- To make the icing, place all ingredients into a bowl and pour in approx. 1 Tbsp boiling water. Beat until smooth, adding water a little at a time until smooth and spreadable.