( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Chris Loufte
A rustic stew, you can use braising beef or lamb shoulder.
- Dust diced beef or lamb with seasoned flour and shake off the excess.
- Melt the butter or oil in a heavy based pan.
- Cook the beef in batches and set aside.
- Add the onions and cook until soft.
- Add the paprika and tomato puree and stir together.
- Add the meat back into the mix.
- Cover with water to a level where the meat is well-submerged.
- Add salt to taste and simmer for an around 1.5 hours till the meat is tender.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or plain boiled rice.