Cider, garlic and thyme roasted chicken
( SERVES 6 )
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- Line a deep, medium roasting pan with baking paper. Rinse and pat the chicken dry.
- Place the whole onion in the stuffing cavity of the chicken and tie the legs together with string.
- Rub the skin with the oil, sliced garlic, salt and fresh thyme and place the chicken in the roasting tray.
- Pour the cider and honey around the chicken and roast for 45-50 minute.
- Basting 3-4 times with the pan juices until the chicken is golden and juices run clear when pieced in the thigh. Allow to rest.
- To make the gravy, pour off the juices into a small saucepan (you should have about a cup. If not, make it up with chicken stock or water).
- Combine the cornflour and water, and then mix in the Marmite/Vegemite.
- Pour into the hot chicken stock and simmer for 2 minutes until thickened. Season with pepper.