Agnello con piselli freschi (lamb with fresh peas)
In Italy, it’s traditional to eat new season’s lamb with fresh peas at Easter. This recipe is from Two Greedy Italians (by Antonio Carluccio and Gennaro Contaldo).
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1 kg||Boned lamb shoulder, cut into large chunks|
|10 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1||Celery stalk, sliced|
|5||Garlic cloves, whole and crushed|
|1 handful||Thyme, sprigs|
|1||Red chilli, sliced|
|250 ml||White wine|
|25 ml||White wine vinegar|
|400 g||Potatoes, skins on and cut into quarters|
|250 g||Peas, fresh or frozen|
|200 g||Cherry tomatoes, halved|
- Season the lamb chunks with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and sweat the onion, carrot and celery until soft.
- Add the garlic, anchovies, thyme and chilli and continue to stir over the heat until the anchovies have almost dissolved into the oil.
- Add the lamb and cook until well-sealed all over. Stir in the wine and allow it to reduce by about half before adding the vinegar.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid, then simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Add the peas, potatoes and tomatoes, cover and continue to cook for about an hour or until the sauce has reduced by half.
- Remove from the heat and serve with toast made using quality bread.