Agnello con piselli freschi (lamb with fresh peas)
( SERVES 6 )
In Italy, it’s traditional to eat new season’s lamb with fresh peas at Easter. This recipe is from Two Greedy Italians (by Antonio Carluccio and Gennaro Contaldo).
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1 kg||Boned lamb shoulder, cut into large chunks|
|10 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1||Celery stalk, sliced|
|5||Garlic cloves, whole and crushed|
|1 handful||Thyme, sprigs|
|1||Red chilli, sliced|
|250 ml||White wine|
|25 ml||White wine vinegar|
|400 g||Potatoes, skins on and cut into quarters|
|250 g||Peas, fresh or frozen|
|200 g||Cherry tomatoes, halved|
- Season the lamb chunks with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and sweat the onion, carrot and celery until soft.
- Add the garlic, anchovies, thyme and chilli and continue to stir over the heat until the anchovies have almost dissolved into the oil.
- Add the lamb and cook until well-sealed all over. Stir in the wine and allow it to reduce by about half before adding the vinegar.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid, then simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Add the peas, potatoes and tomatoes, cover and continue to cook for about an hour or until the sauce has reduced by half.
- Remove from the heat and serve with toast made using quality bread.