I found this recipe in one of my mother’s old cooking books. I’m sure it is dated, but I can’t find any information to back that up. It has become my favourite lunch dish, served with a fried egg on top, but it also goes well as a side dish with steak or sausage.
- Chop the bacon and the onion very finely, or put both in a food processor.
- Add the herbs and breadcrumbs, mixing together with your hands.
- Grease a shallow pie dish of about 20 to 25cm and spread half the mixture on the bottom.
- Slice the tomatoes and layer over the top, finishing with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and a generous pinch of sugar.
- Cover with the rest of the mixture, pat it down and dot butter all over the top.