Seared beef and Israeli couscous salad
Photo by Babiche Martens
|500 g||Beef fillets|
|2 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|2 tsp||Brown sugar|
|200 g||Couscous, (Israeli)|
|500 ml||Chicken stock|
|1||Red onion, sliced|
|½||Red pepper, sliced|
|200 g||Pumpkin, sliced|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|100 g||Beans, blanched|
|1 cup||Fresh herbs, choose soft ones, chopped roughly|
- Place the beef in a small bowl. Add ginger, garlic, brown sugar and 1 tablespoon oil. Combine well and set aside for 20 minutes or until ready to cook.
- Cook couscous in the chicken stock following packet instructions.
- Heat oven to 180C. Place red onion, pepper, pumpkin, turmeric, coriander, cumin and paprika on an oven tray. Toss in the 2 tablespoons of oil and bake for 20 minutes until slightly brown and cooked through.
- Heat a pan to a high heat and sear beef on all sides and place in the middle of the vegetables. This will also take 20 minutes. Remove and rest for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix couscous with dressing and gently add vegetables. Place on a platter. Slice beef and arrange with the salad.