My mother copied this recipe out for me from an old family cookbook, and says these made regular appearances at morning and afternoon teas during her childhood.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and nutmeg together.
- Rub in the butter until fine.
- Beat the eggs and add to the mixture.
- Add a little milk if you need to make a firm dough, and then mix in the sultanas.
- Tip the dough out onto a floured board and divide into four parts.
- Pat like a scone mixture until 5cm-thick, then cut into large squares.
- Cook in a 180 degC oven for about 20 minutes or until golden.