Casseroled chicken with fennel, potatoes, olives and preserved lemon
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Wipe any water and juices off the chicken, then dust lightly with seasoned flour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan, then sauté the chicken until golden. Lift out and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy casserole dish suitable for stovetop use, heat the remaining oil.
- When hot, add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook gently until soft.
- Add the potato slices and cook over a low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lemon, saffron and fennel, toss well, then add the stock, chicken and olives.
- Bring to a simmer, cover with a tight-fitting lid, then place the dish in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spoon the chicken and vegetables onto a heated platter.
- Reduce the juices over a fast heat on the stovetop until they thicken, then pour over the chicken.
- Garnish with a few coriander sprigs.
- Serve immediately with a green salad or steamed broccoli.