Spinach, squid, pecorino and pinenut salad
Photo by Babiche Martens
A fresh spring salad combining tasty baby squid with the earthiness of spinach and a taste explosion of toasted pine nuts.
- Slice the calamari and open out flat. Remove any cartilage if necessary then slice.
- In a pan, heat the oil and butter until hot then quickly toss the squid until curled and golden. Squeeze over the lemon, and season.
- Remove all from the pan (including juices) then add the pinenuts and toast for a few minutes.
- Remove the leaves from the stalks if necessary, carefully rinse then dry.
- Arrange the leaves on plates or a serving platter, add the squid and juices, scatter over the pinenuts and top with shaved pecorino and a little extra pepper.