Hearty roast vegetable platter with stuffing balls
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
A roast doesn’t always need to imply meat. This roast is all about glorious vegetables
Roast pumpkin, kumara and parsnip
|1||Kumara, large, cut into 7cm chunks|
|¼||Buttercup pumpkin, cut into 7cm chunks|
|2||Parsnips, large, peeled and cut into 1cm thick sticks|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 Tbsp||Runny honey|
Roast balsamic and thyme mushrooms and to serve
- Heat oven to 200C. Line a large roasting tray or dish with baking paper for easy clean up.
- Place pumpkin,kumara and parsnips on tray and toss with olive oil and honey. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 35-40 minutes until soft and slightly caramelised.
- While vegetables are roasting,prepare the rest of the meal. Mix stuffing mix, onion, parsley, egg and water together. Roll tablespoons of mixture into small golf-sized balls. Drizzle stuffing balls with olive oil and roll gently in your hands to coat with the oil.
- Mix balsamic vinegar,honey,garlic,olive oil and thyme together and set aside.
- Remove roasting tray from oven after 20minutes of cooking and add stuffing balls and mushrooms (gill-side- up) to tray. Spoon balsamic mixture over mushrooms and season with salt. Continue to roast everything together for a further 15-20 minutes or until stuffing balls are cooked through.
- To serve,place everything on a platter and scatter over pine nuts, crumbled feta and parsley. Serve with tomato chutney on the side.
- Combine 2 cups Japanese panko breadcrumbs, 3 tsp dried mixed herbs, 1 tsp smoked paprika and 1 1⁄2 tsp salt. Keeps in an air-tight jar for months.