Waffles with banana, bacon and vanilla syrup
( SERVES 4 )
|1½ tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
|90 g||Butter, melted|
|8 slices||Shoulder bacon|
- Whisk egg yolks and vanilla together, then add milk and water.
- Place dry ingredients in a large bowl, make a well in the centre, then pour in the liquid. Slowly start whisking to form a smooth batter. Add melted butter.
- Whisk the egg whites to form soft peaks, then gently fold through batter.
- Heat up the flat plate on the barbecue or a large frying pan. Slice bananas lengthwise in half, melt butter on to cooking surface then place bananas cut side down and cook on a medium heat for 7 minutes until caramelised and soft. Keep in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Cook bacon to desired crispness and keep in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Heat waffle iron or machine until hot, lightly spray or grease before cooking the first waffle. Cook waffles until golden and crisp.
- Eat them as they soon as they are cooked, served with vanilla syrup.
- Bring water, sugar and vanilla slowly to the boil
- once sugar is dissolved turn down to a low simmer for 5 minutes.
Tip: Leftover vanilla syrup keeps well in a jar in the fridge and has several other good uses.