Vegetable and ricotta tart
( SERVES 6 )
Enjoy this delicious colourful tart with a green salad for a lunch or Sunday night dinner. The ricotta makes the tart more substantial, and you can use shortcrust pastry if you prefer.
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 sheets||Flaky puff pastry|
|1 clove||Crushed garlic|
|60 g||Baby spinach|
|300 g||Pumpkin, peeled and diced|
|1||Zucchini, sliced into rounds|
|250 g||Ricotta cheese|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|2 Tbsp||Pine nuts|
|1||Red pepper, roasted (I used one from the deli section of the supermarket, drained and sliced)|
- Preheat the oven to 185C.
- Use the semi-thawed pastry to line a 26cm fluted loose-bottom tart tin, or similar, and trim to fit. Chill until required.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Saute the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes until softened and fragrant, then set aside to cool.
- Simmer the pumpkin in salted water for 5-8 minutes until just tender, then add the spinach and zucchini.
- Cook for 1 minute and drain well on paper towels. In a separate bowl, add the eggs, ricotta and seasoning, and whisk to combine.
- Arrange pumpkin and veges with sauted onion in the pastry tin.
- Pour over the egg mixture (let it settle between the veges) and decorate the top with red pepper slices and a sprinkle of pine nuts.
- Bake on the lower oven shelf for 35-45 minutes until the pastry is golden and the centre is set.
- Serve with a pile of fresh greens or herbs, and a drizzle of olive oil. This is great for using up last night’s leftover veges.