Melissa's favourite grilled scallops with sweet chilli sauce and creme fraiche
Photo by Doug Sherring
- Put the first seven ingredients of the chilli sauce in a food processor and puree to a coarse paste.
- Put the sugar in a saucepan with 4 tablespoons of water and place on a moderate heat, stirring well until the sugar dissolves.
- When it has, remove the spoon and turn the heat up to full.
- Boil for 5-8 minutes and do not stir until it has turned a dark caramel colour (but do not allow to burn).
- Stir in the paste, bring the sauce back to the boil and add the last three chilli sauce ingredients.
- Lightly oil the scallops with sesame oil and season with salt and pepper, then grill each side on a hot char-grill, overhead grill, or skillet for 90 seconds.
- To serve, sit the scallops on a bed of watercress, put a dollop of creme fraiche on top and drizzle generously with sweet chilli sauce.