Chicken sausage spirals with tomato and apple sauce
( SERVES 4 )
These weren’t a huge hit and, yes, most people went for the American hot-dog cart next door, but the people who did try my green sausages loved them! I’ve pulled back a bit on the amount of greens, so they don’t look so freaky, but if you want to, go ahead and throw in some spinach and give the kids a fright!
|500 g||Chicken mince|
|100 g||Bacon, lean, chopped|
|1||Spring onion, diced|
|2 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|½ tsp||White pepper|
|½ tsp||Black pepper|
|50 g||Breadcrumbs, fresh|
Chicken sausage spirals
- Place chicken, bacon, spring onion, leek, garlic, white and black pepper and breadcrumbs in a food processor or blender, and process to combine. The mixture should be soft.
- Fill sausage skins with chicken mixture to make 4 long, skinny sausages.
- Roll each into a spiral lollypop and insert a skewer through the centre to hold it together.
- Spray a heavy-based frying pan with a little oil.
- Pan-fry spirals over a low heat until cooked, about 10-15 minutes.
Tomato and apple sauce
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place tomatoes and apples on a baking tray.
- Sprinkle over rosemary, garlic, thyme and salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove tomato skins and discard rosemary, thyme and garlic.
- Place tomatoes and apples in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place sauce in a saucepan and simmer to reduce by half.
- Transfer to a jar or jug, add olive oil and store in a refrigerator until needed.