Barbecue scallops with green chilli nahm jim and herb salad
|1½ Tbsp||Galangal, chopped|
|1 Tbsp||Ginger, chopped|
|3||Coriander root, scraped, washed, chopped|
|2 cloves||Garlic, chopped|
|6||Green chillies, long, deseeded and chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Palm sugar|
|100 ml||Lime juice|
|1½ Tbsp||Fish sauce|
|3 cloves||Garlic, finely sliced and fried crispy|
- In a mortar and pestle pound galangal and ginger to a fine paste. Add coriander root and garlic and pound until smooth then add chillies and pound until smooth.
- Mix in palm sugar until dissolved then add lime juice and fish sauce.
- Check seasoning and balance where needed — the taste should be balanced across salty, sweet and sour with a fair degree of heat and distinct earthiness from the ginger and galangal.
- Heat barbecue or grill pan to a medium heat and toss scallops with a little oil. Cook scallops for about 30 seconds on each side and remove to warmed shells or small plates.
- Mix salad ingredients and combine with a little nahm jim to combine.
- Drizzle a little nahm jim over the scallops and place a nest of the salad on top. Top with a single garlic chip and serve.