Chicken livers with shallots, apples and cabernet vinegar
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
- Take the squares of puff pastry, score the tops and cut a small groove 1cm in from the edge on all sides.
- Glaze the tops with egg yolk. Bake the pastry squares in a 200C oven for 8-10 minutes until puffed and golden.
- Remove and set aside.
- Peel and trim the shallots. Trim the chicken livers and put aside.
- Peel, core and slice the apples. In a medium frying pan melt half the butter, then add the shallots, apple slices and thyme leaves.
- Cook very slowly until soft and golden. Remove the apples and shallots and place in a small bowl.
- Deglaze the pan with the vinegar. Add the stock and lime zest and juice, then simmer for a few minutes to reduce the liquid by half.
- Pour this sauce onto the apples and shallots.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan, increase the heat and sauté the livers fairly briskly so they brown nicely but remain slightly pink in the middle.
- To serve, return the apple and shallot mixture to the pan with the cooked livers and reheat, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reheat the pastry and with a sharp knife remove the centre of each square very carefully, keeping it intact as a lid.
- Spoon the hot livers and sauce into the warmed cases and scatter with chopped parsley.
- Top with the pastry lid and serve.