( SERVES 4 )
Thousand leaves - also known as Napoleons - are a quick-to-make sweet treat to serve with coffee or after dinner.
- Set oven to 200 degC.
- Brush a large baking tray or 2 smaller trays with water.
- Place pastry sheets on top and prick with a fork.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes, until crisp and golden.
- Remove from oven and trim edges. Reserve offcuts for the garnish.
- Cut each sheet of pastry into 4 even strips. T
- urn each strip upside down on the baking tray. Return to oven for 2-3 minutes. Cool.
- Place 2 pastry strips on a board side by side. Spread with whipped cream.
- Top each with another pastry strip and spread with jam.
- Top with another pastry strip and spread with more cream. Top with the final pastry layer.
- Combine icing sugar with enough water to make a spreadable icing.
- Cover the top pastry strip with it. Decorate the top with crushed trimmings.