Pulled chicken sandwiches
Inspired by the ‘All American Smoking Barbecue’ this butterflied chicken is slowly smoked until juicy and brown over the brick lined pits. After that the chicken is dunked in the spicy white sauce and served dripping in it. This is my version cooked in the oven, but when the warmer weather arrives, clean up your kettle barbecue or charcoal barbecue with a hood.
|¼ cup||Horseradish sauce, hot|
|¼ tsp||Cayenne pepper|
|2 Tbsp||Apple cider vinegar|
|1 tsp||Smoked paprika, bittersweet|
|1 tsp||Garlic powder, or garlic salt|
|½ tsp||Celery seeds|
|½ tsp||Ground coriander|
|½ tsp||Ground cumin|
|1½ kgs||Chicken, butterflied|
|8||Bread rolls, or your choice of bread|
|1||Dill pickles, sliced (or gherkins)|
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- In a bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, horseradish sauce, vinegar, cayenne and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place ½ of the sauce in a small bowl for serving, cover and place in the refrigerator. Reserve the remainder for basting the chicken during cooking.
- Mix together the paprika, garlic powder or salt, celery seeds, cumin and coriander and rub over the chicken. Place in a lightly oiled roasting dish (or line dish with baking paper), and cover with foil.
- Slow cook for 1 ½ hours, basting the chicken with the reserved sauce after 30 minutes and again after 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, loosen the foil and leave to rest for 10 minutes. Shred the chicken meat with 2 forks, discarding the skin and bones.
- Fill buns with shredded chicken, plenty of the sauce, coleslaw and slices of dill pickle if using.
Try this simple food processor coleslaw or make by hand using a mandolin or large sharp knife to cut celery and cabbage as finely as possible.
- Place fresh parsley leaves in the food processor and process until chopped.
- Add Dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar. Process to combine.
- Drizzle in olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Change to the slicing blade and slice celery and cabbage.
- Turn out into a large bowl and mix well to combine.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.