The Prodigal Daughters pancetta salad
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
Inspired by Elysian’s tzatziki, Rachel Priestley whipped up this salad.
|2||Iceberg lettuce, small|
|2 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|120 g||Pancetta, hot-smoked|
|8||Sun-dried tomatoes, in extra virgin olive oil|
- Discard the outer leaves and core of the lettuces, then cut them in half.
- Wash under cold running water, shake off excess water, then place the lettuce halves in a plastic bag in the fridge to crisp up.
- Peel and core the onion, then cut into 3mm strips and cook in the oil in a frypan until caramelised – about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and drain.
- Cut the pancetta into lardons, then add to the warm pan and sauté over a medium heat until crisp.
- Drain the sun-dried tomatoes and slice lengthways.
- Mix the tzatziki in a small bowl with 2 teaspoons of balsamic glaze.
- To assemble the salad, remove the lettuce halves from the fridge.
- Place each half in an individual serving bowl, then add a large dollop of dressing to each heart.
- Top with warm pancetta and caramelised onion.
- Finish by adding the sun-dried tomatoes, and garnish with the remaining balsamic glaze.