Spiced butter chicken with jewelled rice
|½ cup||Greek yoghurt, thick|
|1 tsp||Smoked paprika|
|1 tsp||Garam masala|
|1 tsp||Ground cumin|
|1 Tbsp||Brown sugar|
|1 Tbsp||Tomato paste|
|1 tsp||Crushed garlic|
|1 tsp||Fresh ginger, grated|
|1 tsp||Crushed chilli, to taste|
|1||Chicken, medium sized|
|1 cup||Basmati rice|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Red onion, finely diced|
|1||Carrot, peeled and finely diced|
|1||Red capsicum, finely diced|
|1||Zucchini, finely diced|
|1||Celery stalk, finely diced|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh parsley, or coriander, chopped|
|1||Lemon, small, juice & zest|
|1 tsp||Sea salt|
|1 to serve||Flat bread wraps, or naan bread|
|1||Baby spinach, leaves|
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Combine the yoghurt with spices, brown sugar, tomato paste, garlic, ginger and chilli.
- Cut the chicken up through the breast bone, so you can butterfly it out to lay flat (you can roast the chicken whole if you prefer, just adjust the cooking times).
- Completely smother the bird in the spiced yoghurt, pushing it up under the skin.
- Place the chicken on a tray lined with baking paper and roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the chicken is golden and the juices run clear when pierced.
- Leave to rest for about 10 minutes.
- For the jewelled rice, cook in plenty of boiling water for about 10-12 minutes, or until al dente. Drain well and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil, add the vegetables and saute them for 5-8 minutes until tender.
- Add the rice and season with the parsley/coriander, lemon and salt. Serve with wraps or naan bread, the rice and a few spinach leaves.