Sweet Apple Pie
- Roll out two-thirds of the pastry to 3mm thick and use to line a 22cm spring form cake tin or a 1.5 litre capacity ceramic pie dish.
- Pack apple filling into pastry case.
- Roll out remaining pastry into a circle wide enough to well cover the filling.
- Fit pastry lid on to the pie and secure by rolling or crimping the edges.
- Cut several slits in the surface to allow steam to escape.
- Decorate pie with leaves cut from rolled out pastry scraps, if desired. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 190 degC. Brush top of pie lightly with egg glaze.
- Bake for 45 minutes until pastry is golden brown. Serve with vanilla custard, if desired.
Tip: Don’t throw away scraps of pastry. Clump them together, roll out and use pastry cutters – or cut out shapes (such as leaves) by hand – to decorate pies.